Monday, February 09, 2009

All those designers dressed in black



“It’s impossible to find black clothes for my child”.
I’m told that a famous Swedish furniture designer once said this. He is of course most often seen in public wearing black clothing, like many other designers and architects in Sweden. In the design world that’s cool and safe. Then it might be a problem if your child likes to dress in a colorful way, not to mention clothes with all kind of childish patterns.

I once asked my son, (at the time six-years old), to wear black trousers with thin grey stripes for a wedding. He protested, saying: “I don’t want to look like an old man”. And he totally refused the black shoes I had bought him, despite my exiting voice saying: “Daddy bought very cool shoes for you!”

“It’s shoes for grown-ups.I will never use those”, he answered. He was really offended. I had to buy him a pair of red shoes, and then he accepted to wear the trousers for the wedding, but never after that. He loves his gold trousers, glitter shirts and his shirt with a big Asian inspired dragon print.

And what about me? Well, I have to be honest. There are some black and grey shirts and trousers in my wardrobe, even though I really like bright colors. Like my son, all my favorite garments are colorful or full of patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment